Business Vs Academia
The wait is over, the Samsung Galaxy S4 is here. Samsung recently released its new product in the Galaxy series that is known as Samsung Galaxy S4. Check out the amazing specs.
- 5-inch full HD Super AMOLED; 1,920×1,080 screen, at 441 pixels per inch, is both bigger and higher resolution than the iPhone 5.
- 13-megapixel, back-facing camera.
- Internal storage ranges from 16 to 64 GB.
- Innovative software & cool photo features.
- The S4 comes with Samsung’s S Translator tool that enables you to speak in one language and have the phone translate to another.
- Another cool hands-off feature is “Air Gestures.” That allows you to control the phone by waving your hand above the screen.
- If you’re watching a video and look away, the video will pause automatically and resume when you turn your eyes back to the screen.
- You can also scroll by looking up or down and by slightly tilting the phone.
- Android OS, v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
A software house is a company whose primary product is software. Software houses often implement software projects for other companies delivering custom software products based on company requirements. Software houses hire software developers, programmers, designers, testers and project managers to carry out software development activities. Most software houses use traditional project management whereby the company has a pool of project managers/team leads and each project manager/team lead is managing one or more projects depending upon the size of the project. Typically that project manager/team lead is also part of the development team and each project manager has its own style/way of managing the project.
A lot of problems arise in this case, some of them are
- Inconsistent project management practices applied on different projects depending upon the skill level of project manager managing the project.
- Lack of visibility on some projects as some project managers are shy from reporting the progress of the project.
- Project delays due to inexperienced project managers lacking proper training.
- Project managers working in isolation and not benefitting from the experience of each other.
- Issues not escalating to higher management due to lack of consistent reporting.
- Multiple project managers fighting for the same pool of programmers, designer, testers etc.
- Inefficient or over utilization of human resources in different projects due to different style of project managers.
According to Gartner survey, most software projects fail due to lack of proper project management/governance.
A Project Management Office (PMO) can help to reduce Project Management problems. PMO can achieve this by
- Providing standard guidelines/ practice documents for project managers which they can follow in different stages of the project. For example standard guidelines for defining scope of the project, project planning/estimation, risk identification and escalation etc.
- PMO identifies the gaps current issues in project execution and identifies potential risks earlier
- PMO enhances monitoring and control of projects by implementing standard reporting policies which the project managers have to follow.
- PMO helps to mediate conflict resolution among different project managers.
- PMO provides training and mentoring to project managers so that they can manage projects effectively.
- PMO increases efficiency by tracking progress of the projects.
- PMO integrates all project plans by standardizing project progress reporting so that the management has a clear that which projects are getting delayed so that the resources can be assigned accordingly.
- PMO increases the overall project management knowledge of the organization/software house by documenting/collecting lessons learned from different projects so that the organization/company can learn from previous mistakes and project managers may be trained to avoid those mistakes.
Once you have setup the PMO in your organization then you must also consider the tools/technology that is essential to a better performing PMO. Most notable and widely used software for this pupose is Microsoft Project Server 2010.
50 years in the hospitality industry
Michel Pierre Jean Noblet, one of the few people in Dubai to have crossed the 50-year mark in the hospitality industry, talks to Suchitra Bajpai Chaudhary about his journey. Fifty years of vacation is how Michel Pierre Jean Noblet, president, CEO and founding partner of Dubai-based Hospitality Management Holdings (HMH) describes his amazing career in the hospitality industry. “When I start my day, I don’t know how it will end. And that’s the beauty of our business. It’s just so unpredictable. A surprise awaits you at every step. But I love every moment of it.” Michel, 66, has led a truly amazing life where two days are rarely the same. From hosting dinners for top executives of multinational companies, to managing the logistics of the African Summit in a hotel that wasn’t fully functional in Rwanda, to hosting Prince Charles and the late Lady Diana, to overseeing the opening of more than 50 hotels across the world, the French citizen has done it all.
No politics for Ben Affleck
Boston: Ben Affleck is taking his name off the list of possible candidates for US Senator John Kerry’s seat, which would be open if the Democratic senator from Massachusetts is confirmed as secretary of state. Affleck says in a Monday posting on his Facebook page that while he loves the political process, he will not be running for public office. Speculation about the Cambridge, Massachusetts native rose slightly when he did not completely rule out a Senate bid during an appearance on CBS’ ‘Face The Nation’ on Sunday. In his Facebook posting, Affleck says he would continue working with the Eastern Congo Initiative, a non-profit organisation that helps direct humanitarian aid to the war-torn region, and for other causes. Affleck says Kerry would make a great secretary of state.